I am sure that you have all heard of "Go to work with daddy day." Well, today we kind of had that, except it was "Go to work with your very cool Air Force Pilot husband day." It doesn't get any better than that!! Today I got to wear a flight suit, put on my own wings, and head into work with Zach. Today was "Spouse Taxi Day." I was so excited!! I got to go through a formal briefing on what the day would consist of, then we headed to another briefing on how to put our harness on, our helmet and mask, and then they proceeded to show us what we do if "something bad happens." Egress, Egress, Egress. Anyway, we got to get into a T-38 shell and test out our skills on getting strapped in and looking at what the cockpit would be like. Then, we went and got our helmets and parachutes. It was so awesome getting all fitted like I really was a pilot. Do you think I am done??? Well... after I got fitted I got to go out into a real T-38, I strapped in, Zach turned everything on, I put on my helmet, gloves, and pulled the canopy down. Zach did all the hand maneuvers to the crew chief and as a four ship( there were four different planes going with us) we started to taxi down the runway!!! Lights were everywhere, it was SO hot, the parachute uncomfortable, but the coolest thing ever. Zach let me taxi down the runway, and I even got to talk on the radio for everyone to hear. I got to say "four" when it was my turn. I know, hard stuff. It really was though. I was so nervous. We got to the end of the runway, we all lined up, and then each plane took off down the runway. We waited four minutes (since we were four) and started our own taxi down. Zach put it in burner and we got to 100 knots (about 115-120 mph)!!! We didn't get to take off, but the taxi was THE BEST. I finally got to feel a little bit of what Zach does everyday. I never give him the credit that he deserves. There is SO MUCH stuff to know. It is not like getting in a car and driving. There are about a million different lights and buttons to know about and so many different situations that they are in, and then to top it all off, he has to teach it to kids who have no idea what they are doing. I have always been amazed at what he does, but now I see how much goes into it. Today was honestly one day that I will never forget. As cool as it was though, I will leave the flying to Zach.!!!!
My own wings, and certificate
My own wings, and certificate






11 comments:
That sounded fun, exhilarating, exciting, and a little nerve racking all at once! It's cool that they do such a thing.
Rik thats so cool. Look at what a little girl from the tiniest town in the world is doing now-I'm proud of my big sis.
That looked so fun!! I can't imagine what it was like. Dan would have loved to do something like that, me too!!
How awesome!! You look great it your suit:) We know Zach is the best pilot ever. Did Mattie ever sing her military song for you. She actually cries when she sings it. It is so precious. She knows what Zach does is very important but also very dangerous. Keep up the good work!!
How cool is that! You look so cute in your flightsuit!
ok... you look FABULOUS!!! We just had our spouse flight, but I didn't get my own wings!!!! I am way jealous about that... good for you!!!
Fun Fun Fun. That all I can say. Fun
that is awsome- I'm glad to see you took so many pictures! You and your family are so cute. I love to be able to blog and see everyones cute families!!! Mary
What a lucky girl! I can't imagine ever in my lifetime being able to get in a flight suit and sit in a real life jet...looking at these pictures and reading your blog is probably the closest I will ever come!
Awesome! That is so cool. I love how excited you are about it all - who wouldn't be though! How fun. I bet the kids were pretty jealous!
That is SO COOL!
Post a Comment