I am sure that you all have already done this and we are a little slow, but I think this "experiment" could change our lives. We have decided that T.V. may not really be as important as we once thought. The other day a really sad thing happened that made me change my ways.
I was watching the Food Network Channel (because it is my all time favorite) and Jax came in and showed me something that he had been working on for a long time. Well, he came in during the most important part of the show when they were saying who won the contest, and I just said "Good Job" and didn't even look at what he did and told him to go get Aynslee out of the cupboard. What I did see was him walking away with the saddest look on his face. He didn't think I cared. Of course I care. I looked at it after I found out who won, but that was a little to late. I hurt my sons feelings over a stupid cooking show. I felt awful and cried to myself as I went to bed that night. When I woke up I had a new plan. No more T.V. Well, kind of.
We have ''quiet time" at our house, I feel that everyone, parents included, need a little time to themselves. I will let the kids watch a movie or read a book or play toys by themselves. If they choose to watch T.V. during this time I will let them, but that will be it. Zach and I can watch after the kids go to bed if we choose.
Yesterday was our first day, and I have to say I am VERY happy about it. I thought it was going to be SO hard. Zach didn't get home from work until 9:30 and I figured it would be the longest day of our lives. We actually played together!! Can you believe it??? We made forts, sang songs, danced around, and actually talked to each other. I really hope that this goes on forever and we don't slack like we do with everything else. I hope that I will NEVER see a look on my children's face like that one again, especially if I put it there!!! I am going to work hard at this. I am changing my ways!! I will let you all know how it is going and will you help to keep me motivated? Wish us luck!!


6 comments:
I love that our TV is in the basement and the bedrooms are upstairs... so it is out of sight out of mind! Neither Brian or I watch much tv, Sophie is the one who likes it the most but with her in school all day she only watches one show after school (and often not at all) We have quiet time here, too and it is awesome! If your kids like listening to stories you should check out storynory.com, my girls love listening to stories for quiet time or just before bed and you can download them for free! Parenting is hard isn't it??! I hate when I hurt my kids feelings but we all do it at sometime or another. You are a great mom! Love ya
We don't have t.v. right now either and it is such a blessing. Anything we need, (such as the news) we can get it off the internet. It is wonderful. We've recently been discussing if we want to have t.v. when we have kids. Crazy how t.v. can bring so much good and bad into your home. You just have to weigh the outcomes and make a decision. I think you made a great one! Keep it up. If you get bored, call me!
What a great idea. I never really liked to watch tv, but it seems to be on just for the noise. Ryanne watches a few cartoons in the morning while I get ready and hat is about it. We try not to have it on very much. I think we have a much better day when the tv is off. I have a long way to go though. Keep it up and let me know how it goes.
It doesn't have to be the t.v. We all have things that we do out of habit or things we just enjoy doing- sewing, internet, cleaning, ect. I catch myself doing the same thing daily. Even if I am folding dreaded laundry I always am saying 'just a minute'. Don't beat yourself up about it. You acknowledged an issue, that is more than some people do. Keep up the good work. You are a great mom - I have always looked up to your mothering abilities!
I've been there. There are only a few shows that I HAVE to see. So sad, but American Idol is one of them. I hate it when I'm interupted. Thankfully we have DVR now and I just record it and watch it after the kids go to bed. They get their time with me and I get to watch my show without any interuptions. Good luck with your experiment. I know you can do it. You are an awesome mom!
Good job Rikki! We don't have T.V., but I have the same issue with my internet addiction (nothing naughty of course!) I had to put a post-it note on my computer screen that says, "Does a kid need you right now?" as a reminder! I am guilty too. That is great that you are playing with them - I need to do more of that!
Post a Comment