Just yesterday I was thinking that I didn't have anything to add to our blog. Well, I do now. At about 1:30 p.m. this afternoon Zach called me from work and told me he was glad that he got off base and that he was on his way home. I didn't know what he was talking about and he told me to turn on the weather channel. I turned it on and guess what? Caledonia Mississippi had made the weather channel for a life threatening tornado coming our way. I thought it was just going to be another bad storm. I will be watching that channel a little more closely now. I called my mom and told her that I loved her if anything happened (just a call to let her know what was going on) well the power went out right then and I am sure my mom about died. Sorry mom, I didn't mean to freak you out!! We gathered all of our flashlights and blankets and ran to our closet in our bedroom. The saying "the calm before the storm" is very true. I kept asking Zach if it was really going to hit. Well, the rain came in sheets and the wind came and my dumb husband would not stay in the closet and had to go "check it out." Just as he got to the window the wind had picked up our poor trampoline and threw it over our neighbors fence. No damage was done to the fence, but our trampoline did not fair as well. All legs were ripped off and it was bent almost in half. That was a sad sight to see. We had a lot of water in our backyard, but that was all that happened to us. We didn't really think it was that bad until we had people coming to our home to check on us and people calling to see if we made it though. The storm had hit only 1 mile north of our home and ripped homes completely apart with it's 170 mph winds (I'm serious) and unfortunatly made its way to the school campus. (The Elementary, Junior High and High School are in one location) It ripped it apart and threw school buses on top of the High School and destoyed the town of Caledonia. They said that about 2000 people were on the school campus, but not one person was hurt. They know how to survive these things down here. The scarey thing is that 2 homes that we were really interested in buying were both in the direct path of the tornado. We feel so lucky to have bought this home and that the only casualty was the trampoline. We still love the south and as scarey as this sounds, it was a fun day and it really makes you count your many blessings and we are actually looking forward to the next big storm. You don't know what a storm is until you have lived through one in the south.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
We're Alive!!!!
Posted by Stewart Family at 9:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
That is so crazy! I am glad that no damage was done to your house and that you all are all right. We have had q few tornado warnings here since we moved here. But none have come that close, they usually just bring a lot of rain and high winds. Thanks goodness, I would have been a basket case knowing it came so close!
Rikki-
We are so glad that you are safe. Mom called me last night to let me know what happened and that you were ok. I wish I would have known before so I could have said a prayer, but it looks like you had plenty because you're safe. Stay safe and thanks for the pictures. It is crazy to think that it was so close to you. Pictures make things seem so real when you hear about things like tornados. We love you guys tons!
I am so glad that you guys are safe. Welcome to the southern weather huh?! Some of your experiences are exactly like ours while we lived in Biloxi. It makes you very thankful huh?!
I am so glad you guys are ok... it reminds me of the really bad tornado that hit Columbus while we were all there... scary. You are made of tougher stuff then me that is for sure!
We are glad you are alive. I had not heard about this until I read your blog. I never watch the news, so I don't know much.
I am so glad everything is okay too. WOWEE. So is going to the closet what you are suppose to do? Is it a special closet?
Glad you are all well and safe! Although I'll bet your kids are pretty sad about the trampoline - mine would be! So thankful your home is okay, too! Scary!
Post a Comment